• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Best way to put on weight?

Subtext

Bluelighter
I have a hell of a time trying to put on weight.

I have a super fast metabolism and not that much interest in food ie I don't really want to sit down to massive meals and feel really full.

I eat 3 normal size meals a day and a few snacks but I was wondering if any one knows of any calorie rich supplements/foods/drinks that are easy to slam down to put on weight?

Smoothies are probably your best bet if you don't want to sit down to a meal. Put some avocado in there, some nuts/seeds, maybe even a dash of oil... Could easily (and healthily) get it up and over 1000 calories in 16oz.

Tomorrow I'll dig up this article I have bookmarked on eating to gain weight--Had some useful tips (or so I've been told 'cause I certainly don't have an issue with gaining weight, lol).

we're a lot alike. since i was 12 years old i've always wanted to put on more weight.

anyway obviously eating fat rich foods will help put on weight. most nuts are high in fat especially peanuts. avocados have a lot of fat in them and are actually a very healthy super food with a complete nutrition profile all in one fruit. not the best taste but worth it imo.

doing compound exercises like bench presses, squats, power cleans, etc are the best way to put on muscle weight compared to simple exercises like curls, etc.

maybe this helps some but probably not... lol

First off, ask yourself why you want to put on weight. If you're serious about it you can expect to double your food budget indefinitely, unless you just want to put on weight and then lose it in a year.

You need to eat a ton. Three meals a day is LOL. 5-6 bare minimum, likely 6-8 if you want to eat proper portions and healthful food.

I weigh 140-150 and last year I hit the weights and bulked up to 160-170. Let me tell you: it's not the business. It takes a lot of maintenance and hard work to do it properly, and for what? It shortens your lifespan. The bigger you are, the harder your body has to work. Pointless. It becomes a chore because not only do you have to constantly eat, soon you will get tired of whatever you're constantly eating so you need a ton of variety. Then ask yourself how much time you're spending on eating and preparing food.

Why do you want to do this again?

Why I want to do it is because I have a BMI of 18 and even though I'd like not to worry about what society deems attractive I do have to live in society.

I do take your point on having to keep up the change in dietary habits for the rest of my life, but then again obese people have to change their dietary habits permanently.

I probably do under eat but one of the positives of that is, according to studies on mice, I will live significantly longer=D

Well, i know that the sure fire way to always succeed on putting on weight in a cheap, easy, fast, healthy(ish) way, is to drink lots of milk.

I did this and i put on 10kg in a month or two. I drank about 1-3litres a day, throughout the day, as well as eating normally. It is amazing how well it works and it doesnt make you feel like shit. If you dont like the taste of plain milk(i personally love it), then you can always mix in nesquik, syrup, or vanilla of some sort.

bulk gainer whey protein shakes that contain a lot of calories, fat and protein. must be the easiest and probably cheapest method of weight gain

Weight gain is SOOO simple, people tend to over-complicate it.

Weight gain (and loss) comes down to nothing more than calorie balance, you can't beat physics. Eat more than you burn off (life-requirements + energy spent during the day), and you gain weight. If you exercise, creating the need for the body to build muscle, you'll gain muscle (any surplus calories past the muscles' requirements will be fat - but if gaining for muscle, just accept that a little fat gain is almost a necessity. Don't worry, you can lose the fat later :) ).

Eat as often and as much as possible. Keep an eye on the scale (always weigh in while in the EXACT same circumstances, ideally: 1st thing in the am, before food / after bathroom, on same scale and in same clothes/nude). If you're gaining over a pound or two a week, slow it the hell back (unless you're okay w/ heavy fat gain).

I'd go further, but you're new so unsure how much weight (no pun) you'll put on suggestions here. Ask for further info and I'll happily elaborate ;P

Oh and a good, general rule of thumb is to focus on heavy fats/proteins. Carbs aren't really needed for much besides meeting your calorie req's *after* you met your fat/protein goals ;)

SangerRainsford has some good suggestions. Here's that article I promised. Had a different one with some better tips, but Sanger summed 'em all up.

Oh - a thing to add is that *QUALITY* is of practically zero relevance here. It's very relevant to your health, mind you, but for gaining weight (even muscle weight), mcdonald's can still be your main spot ;P

^ If "it's very relevant to your health," how is it "of practically zero relevance here"? This is the "Healthy Living" forum after all. :p

He's concerned with gaining weight - I just wanted to mention that, for some, gaining weight virtually requires eating unhealthy foods. It's a choice anyone needs to understand and then choose.
If I want to bulk(gain muscle), I accept I'll have to do things that may not be healthy, I weigh the pro's/con's, and do what I see as best. In many instances, I have to augment the approach with things to negate the problems of the heavy-food-sources and/or do "damage control" after I've hit my weight-goals ;P

^ I don't agree with you but I can see your point. I feel that anyone can gain weight by eating healthy foods as gaining weight is all about calories in versus calories out. A lot of people just don't have the patience to eat 3000 extra calories a week in plant matter when they can go get a couple double cheeseburgers and get the same calories.

Everybody wants the "quick fix." 8)

I have a hell of a time trying to put on weight.

I have a super fast metabolism and not that much interest in food ie I don't really want to sit down to massive meals and feel really full.

I eat 3 normal size meals a day and a few snacks but I was wondering if any one knows of any calorie rich supplements/foods/drinks that are easy to slam down to put on weight?

It is about calorie balance as others have mentioned, so go for the nutrient-dense foods. If you do not care about fat gain, drink a ton of alcohol. The easiest way by far. This is healthy living though, so I cannot recommend this. What worked for me--I've had a few bulking periods where I put on 10-15 lbs in 1-2 months--is starting with an absolutely gigantic breakfast, as close to 1,000 kcal as possible. This distends your stomach to the point where you get "hungry" earlier because you begin to adapt to a new feeling of what "full" is. I have a fast metabolism like you. My dad lived off of fruit for two goddamn years. When I started trying to put on size I was 120lbs and could not bench my bodyweight. My ultimate goal was 170 and I reached 165 a few times before finally giving up.

Everyone has a set point of weight that they feel best at. For me this is approximately 150. Try to find yours. [edit:] It sounds like you may already be at your set point.

First off, ask yourself why you want to put on weight. If you're serious about it you can expect to double your food budget indefinitely, unless you just want to put on weight and then lose it in a year.

You need to eat a ton. Three meals a day is LOL. 5-6 bare minimum, likely 6-8 if you want to eat proper portions and healthful food.

I weigh 140-150 and last year I hit the weights and bulked up to 160-170. Let me tell you: it's not the business. It takes a lot of maintenance and hard work to do it properly, and for what? It shortens your lifespan. The bigger you are, the harder your body has to work. Pointless. It becomes a chore because not only do you have to constantly eat, soon you will get tired of whatever you're constantly eating so you need a ton of variety. Then ask yourself how much time you're spending on eating and preparing food.

Why do you want to do this again?

Probably the best reply in this thread so far.

Last edited:
^ I don't agree with you but I can see your point. I feel that anyone can gain weight by eating healthy foods as gaining weight is all about calories in versus calories out. A lot of people just don't have the patience to eat 3000 extra calories a week in plant matter when they can go get a couple double cheeseburgers and get the same calories.

Everybody wants the "quick fix." 8)

For some, myself included, the ONLY way to gain is w/ super-dense foods. If I tried to make my calorie req's w/ "healthy" foods only, I'd fail, no question. Not because of how much harder it is, but because my stomach couldn't hold it, I'd puke/shit it all out. Compare a 1k calorie of liquid, maltodextrin with some whey protein and vits/mins TO 1k's worth of a sub/sandwich with comparable macro/micro nute breakdowns. I couldn't get that sub to hold, I could get the shake to hold.

I'll be the 1st to admit, I've done things (whether bad foods, or chemical stuff, you get me) for gains that weren't the healthiest way, but for my goals at the time, they were really the only ways.

Example - many of my smoothies had a heaping scoop of weightgainer, dairy cream, two "individual" sized yogurts, olive oil, ice cream, etc etc etc. I had to do this because I simply didn't have the digestive system to hold comparable calories from pure food sources.

There are super-dense foods that are healthy though, that's the thing! Quinoa, avocado, ... even beans are pretty high in calories.

Like I said, I get what you're saying, but I still politely disagree. :)

As healthy and tasty as quinoa is, and as much as I want to stand up for it, it is not calorie-dense. You have to eat a gigantic portion to get just 300 calories in; by the time you are on your last few bites it's already cold. I know this because I did it every day for weeks :( great food though :D

^ I heard it has 400 calories in a cup of it! ...I think I'm confusing dry and cooked calorie counts again, oops. If that's the case, then yes, it really doesn't have that many calories.

But as far as making a food with the "swallow" or calories, I could make a pretty dense and nutritious smoothie with healthy ingredients, like avocado. One avocado has about 500 calories--Add the whole thing to a smoothie with other stuff and the calories quickly add up, but healthily.